Coming Up this Week!
Now that school is back in, we need to make the most of our weekends with our kids! To help you, we’ve come up with a list of 50 cool activities you can do as a family in the Northern Nevada – Tahoe area. As you plan your fall, try to include at least one item from this list each week. By the time winter rolls around, your kids will have an autumn of fantastic family memories. (Oh, and don’t forget to take pictures!)
*For time and dates of events listed below, check our calendar. To receive weekly reminders of these events and more, join our e-mail list.
1. See the original Emancipation Proclamation at the Nevada Museum of Art.
2. Participate in “Reno’s oldest footrace” – the Reno Journal Jog.
3. Catch the Air Show at the Reno Championship Air Races.
4. Get some Christmas shopping done and have a bbq lunch under the trees at the Genoa Candy Dance.
5. Not going anywhere during the Washoe County School District fall break? Check out all the cool camp opportunities that await your kids in our upcoming Fall Break Camp Guide.
6. During Aquafest at the Northwest Pool, swim indoors free at Public Swim Day.
7. Learn all about the fish that live in Lake Tahoe at the annual Fish Festival at the Taylor Creek Visitor Center.
8. Honor our veterans by attending one of the Veteran’s Day parades in Reno or Virginia City.
9. Savor the sights and tastes of autumn at the Tahoe Donner Fall Festival.
10. Support the McQueen Lancers and take the kids to the McQueen Craft Fair in October.
11. Celebrate the Truckee River at Truckee River Day
12. Kick off Nevada Day celebrations with the Nevada Day parade in Carson City.
13. After the parade, head over to the Governor’s Mansion for a special Nevada Day tour.
14. Dress up in your spooky best running gear and run the Reno Tahoe Trick-or-Treat 5K & Kid’s Haunted Half Mile with your kids.
15. Drive by Tanea Drive to catch the Lights of Tanea Halloween Show and donate to help local charities.
16. Build a pumpkin racer and race it in the Pumpkin Derby at Pumpkin Palooza in Sparks.
17. Life the life of a pioneer for a day at Galena Creek’s Pioneer Days.
18. On October 3, enjoy the last Reno Street Food Party in the Park of the season at Idlewild Park.
19. Try different foods from all around the world at UNR’s Night of All Nations.
20. Listen to some Scottish pipes, watch some Irish dancing, and meet some Celtic critters at the Reno Celtic Celebration.
21. Kick off Star Wars Day by visiting your favorite Star Wars characters at Star Wars Reads Day III at Barnes & Noble.
22. Gobble up some strudel at Camp Richardson’s Oktoberfest.
23. See the Blue Man Group at an afternoon showing at Pioneer Center in September.
24. Join the Down Syndrome Network of Northern Nevada and unite for a common cause at their Annual Buddy Walk and Fun Fair.
25. Have a pancake breakfast, see antique military airplanes, watch a pumpkin chucking contest, and more at the Lyon County Fly In
26. Looking for dog-friendly family events? Bring the family (including Fido) to the Tahoe City Oktoberfest.
27. Attend the Camel Races at Virginia City as your favorite discoverer, anyone from Louis and Clark to Albert Einstein.
28. Ride the train to the pumpkin patch on the Virginia & Truckee Pumpkin Patch Train.
29. Attend the Royal Father-Daughter Ball in November at the Grand Sierra Resort
30. Test your family’s skills at the quarterback pass and punt zone at the NFL Network Thursday Night Football Tailgate Tour in October at Scheels.
31. At the end of November, take the family on a roadtrip to Vegas and support the Wolf Pack as they play their rivals, the UNLV Rebels.
32. Trick-or-treat early at the stroller-friendly Great May Center Pumpkin Walk.
33. Build something with Bob the Builder at a special event in September at the Children’s Museum of Northern Nevada.
34. Order a pizza and have an indoors picnic dinner while watching one of ABC Family’s 13 Nights of Halloween.
35. Tour the Governor’s Mansion on Nevada Day.
36. Look for ghosts in the Mini Ghost Tour Carson City Ghost Walk, designed just for kids on October 18th.
37. Learn all about bats at Family Fun Saturday at the Nevada State Museum,
38. Taste some chili, see a parade, and tour an old schoolhouse during Dayton Valley Days.
39. Take a break from cooking and run the Annual Turkey Trot at Scheels in Sparks.
42. Visit your favorite animal at Animal Ark on their last day before end their regular season for the winter.
43. Get up before the sun and see the glowing balloons rise into the sky at Dawn Patrol at the Reno Balloon Races.
44. Run or walk with your kid in the Run for Education while raising fund for our schools.
45. Meet the original Batman and Robin at the Reno Comic Con!
46. Mangia mangia at the kid’s gelato eating contest at Eldorado Great Italian Festival.
47. Cycle the leisurely 10 mile loop together as a family at the Edible Pedal.
48. Take advantage of the cooler weather and go on a guided walk around Washoe Lake.
49 Catch Doctor Dolittle Jr. being performed by the Wild Horse Children’s Theater in Carson City.
50 Check out the first Minden-Tahoe Airport Pumpkin Drop!
Have we missed your favorite fall event or activity? Let us know in the comments below! Happy Fall!