Coming Up this Week!
Even though summer may be a little shorter this year for Reno students, the transition from summer vacation to school is always hard. To help your kids get back into the school frame of mind, consider following some of our 10 suggestions. And, as always, if you have any other ideas to add, please let us know in the comment section below!
1. Let your child pick out their breakfast for the first day back to school (with exceptions – no ice cream!)
2. Take your child out for a special celebration dinner to the restaurant of their choice at the end of the first week.
3. Place little notes of encouragement and love in their lunch box or backpack.
4. Emphasize who and what your child already knows at school to make the first days less scary.
5. Most schools have some sort of open house prior to the first day. Take your child with you and meet his or her teacher. Check out with your child where the bathrooms are, where their classroom is, where they get on the bus, where they eat lunch, etc.
6. If they are riding the bus to school, meet the bus driver with them on the first day. If they know someone already on the bus, see if they can be bus buddies and sit together. Let your child know that they even if they forget their bus stop, the bus driver will make sure they get off at the right stop.
7. Connect with other parents in your child’s class and set up playdates to encourage new friendships.
8. Get involved by volunteering for your child’s school. Anxiety in parents can transfer to their children, so ease any concerns you may have by meeting more people at your child’s school.
9. Establish morning and bedtime routines a week before school starts. It’s hard to switch from a 9am alarm to a 6am alarm!
10. Listen to your child’s fears and concerns but don’t overreact. Remain calm and positive!